I wanted to share my story with fertility issues and how the second time around I feel like the steps I took to take care of myself and use natural methods of balancing hormones really made a huge difference. I pray it can help someone get on the right path to taking care of themselves better and hopefully finding that perfect balance of hormones to help conceive:)
Obviously, I know that when pregnancy happens is completely up to God, as he is the creator of life. I know now looking back that the reason it took me so long to get pregnant the first go round (2 years) was all a God thing and I am so glad it worked out the way it did when it did. When we wanted to try for a second child I had no idea how long it would take. I really wanted to focus on trying to become as healthy as possible but also try to regulate my cycle, as it has always been long.
Here are the steps I took over the course of 4-5 months to balance my hormones:
- Eat little to no processed foods: This was not a huge change for me, as I have been on this path for the past few years. When you consume processed foods, they contain pesticides, preservatives and other foreign things ( and sugar! Which is terrible for your body) There are “fake” estrogen compounds called xenoestrogens that are found in these products that act like estrogen and can really mess up your hormone levels. They trick the body into thinking that there is an elevated level of estrogen, and your body stops producing it. Not to mention a ton of other issues that are too lengthy to discuss!
- Exercise: I really upped my physical activity and tried to be in great shape. Not only would this help me out when I did get pregnant but it also helps balance hormones as well
- Incorporated essential oils: I use them for pretty much everything you can think of so, of course, I would turn to using oils to help increase my chances of getting pregnant! Hormones can be a very tricky thing to balance and this definitely proved true in my case. As I mentioned earlier, my cycle has always been long (anywhere from 35-45 days), I also I knew I ovulated late (when and if I did ovulate), so knowing all of these pieces I did a little research and began trying some different combinations of oils. The thing is you have to try something and stick with it for a while, so what I did was try different combinations of oils for a month at a time to see what it did with my cycle.
Below is the combination of oils/supplements that ended up working the best
- Life Long Vitality pack daily
- Phytoestrogen supplement (2 caps daily)
- Layered on my feet at night: Balance, Ylang Ylang and Clary Sage.
- The first 14 days of my cycle I used fennel (helps to increase hormones for ovulation) on my inner ankles-sensory point for ovaries.
- The second half of my cycle I used geranium over my adrenals (helps increase pro-action of progesterone which you need in the latter half of your cycle)
I know this sounds like a very confusing and lengthy protocol, but sometimes that’s what it takes!
I hope these few tips help you on your journey to becoming a momma:) Please let me know if you have questions, I would be more than happy to answer them!