Ok so, I have been trying to eat more protein and less sugar over the last few months. I LOVE sweets and making this change has definitely helped curb my “sweet tooth”! I try to incorporate more eggs, tuna, protein shakes, and protein bars. In doing so, I have been buying various protein bars for a quick snack. Recently I thought……. wonder if I could make my own version with no preservatives or unwanted additives. And so, I did!!! Here’s the recipe…….I was very happy with the results!!
– 1 cup old fashion gluten-free rolled oats (put in a blender and turn into flour)
– 2 1/2 scoops of protein powder of your choice (vanilla or plain work best)
– 1/2 tsp baking soda
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 3 tbsp cocoa or cacao powder
– 1/3 cup maple syrup (honey will work also)
– 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
– 2 egg whites and 1 egg
– 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine dry ingredients in one bowl and wet ingredients in another. Then, add wet ingredients to dry and combine well. Place in a greased 8 x 8 pan. Bake for 20 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. Cut into 8 bars. Enjoy!!!
**Keep in the refrigerator or freeze individually