Saw a recipe similar to this recently and thought I would modify and make my own version! My kids LOVE when I have freshly baked muffins for them after school! And, of course, I am always looking for healthy versions! These are Vegan too! They turned out amazing!
– 1 oven roasted and peeled sweet potato (Roast potatoes in a 400-degree oven for 45-60 minutes until fork tender)
– 2 cups flour (I used organic wheat sprouted flour but regular wheat or all-purpose is fine)
– 2 tsp baking powder
– 2 tsp baking soda
– 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– 1/2 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1/2 cup almond milk. Any milk will do as long as you don’t mind it not being Vegan
– 1/2 cup applesauce or you could use plain yogurt or greek yogurt as long as you don’t mind them not being Vegan
– 3/4 cup pure maple syrup. If you don’t have that, use honey
– 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
Mix the sweet potato with all of the wet ingredients in a bowl.
In a separate bowl, mix all dry ingredients.
Pour dry ingredients into wet and mix until combined
You could also add walnuts or pecans if you like. Dried cranberries would be good as well.
Distribute batter into 12 muffin tins (with or without liners, be sure to grease if not using liners) and bake for 20-25 minutes on 350 degrees until a toothpick comes out clean.
Brush the tops with Maple syrup when they come out of the oven.
You can also serve with either honey butter or maple butter. (Non-Vegan)
Honey butter: 2 parts butter, one part honey
Maple butter: 2 parts butter, one part maple syrup